Friday, April 26, 2013

"The Haunted Bridge" was the title that caught my seven-year-old eye.

My mother and I were standing in our hot, musty "attic"—really just an unfinished spare bedroom in our midwestern Cape Cod. It was late morning on an early summer day in the mid-1970s. My mother had decided I was ready for a Nancy Drew mystery, and I could read it all by myself.

I was thrilled.

Laid out before me in a long, shallow box was book after book from my mother's childhood. Two rows of faded blue spines inscribed with titles like "The Secret of Shadow Ranch," "The Message in the Hollow Oak," and "The Mystery of Lilac Inn." All so tantalizing. All for me.

For some reason I can't recall, it was "The Haunted Bridge" I wanted. I took it downstairs and out the door and sat on our concrete front steps. My father was mowing the yard. On the book's jacketless cover was the title and the silhouette of a girl with a magnifying glass. Just inside was a pen-and-ink drawing of a young woman wearing old-fashioned clothes (definitely not 70s attire!) hiding behind a tree, watching a man dig a hole in the ground in the dead of night. I was fascinated.

I started to read.

My father finished mowing the front lawn. And the back. Lunch came and went. I sat on those hard, cold steps for hours, lost.

I was hooked.



11 comments:

  1. Wendy P -- So great to see you're up and running...I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of your literary adventures here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me again...a few fave Nancy Drew mind triggers: roadster, chum, old clock, larkspur, a dad who in my imagination looks like David Niven, haha!! And wasn't there a bad guy who trapped Nancy in some basement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my next post may be about how I had to ask my mom what certain words/phrases meant e.g. chum, the latter, nonchalantly etc.
      David Niven?? Hilarious.
      Nancy was always being trapped somewhere...
      Also, P.Dell, have to say "Carolyn Keene" used WAY to many adverbs, particularly after "said."

      Delete
    2. David Niven, yes, ridiculously hilarious. As a child I think I must've seen him in some old b&w movie playing a lawyer and thought he was...dashing. Another word I no doubt didn't know when I [theoretically] watched him in whatever it may have been.

      As for CK's use of adverbs, I think you may mean way TOO many ;-) But yes, I'm sure she (they) did. Adverbs were probably all the rage back then, hah. I think adverbs then and now, or examples thereof in lit, would be a good topic for you too....

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous evocation of a childhood moment lost in a book, Wendy. Can't wait to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! And I'm glad you were hooked. I like the blog! And the background pic.
    Welcome to the blogosphere! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, brings back memories of the small maple tree in our front yard. Little privacy, I was often in the depths of a good book when a neighbor boy would toss a rock or sticks at me. Boys! That's where I went to read my favorite book, A Wrinkle in Time. A warm, breezy place was the perfect spot for getting lost in a good fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy. Great sensual details. Good luck with your
    scary story! Big fan of the evocative name you created for your blog also.

    ReplyDelete